To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Monday, March 27, 2006

Holi Hai!!!!!

March 13-16

I'm writing this much after the fact... so, there won't really be the same emotion and feeling in it.

For Holi, the school at SIDH was closed for two days, so a lot of the teachers went home, and I decided to go home with Rajesh, the history and geography teacher. He lives near Rishikesh in a village called Amitgram (one of its many name....). His father is a great Gandhian of this district, but now is quite old, and due to a cataract operation gone wrong, he can no longer see. His name is Kameshwar Bahuguna... he was very much involved with Sevagram (Gandhiji's Ashram in Wardha) for many years, and also spent 3-4 years with Vinoba Bhave. So, the main two reasons I was going was to meet Kameshwar-ji and talk to him, and also to celebrate Holi in the village!!!!

So, when I got there, I soon got introduced to Kameshwar-ji. At first, he said a quick hello, but didn't pay me much attention. However, the longer I stayed there, the more and more we got into conversations. And even though he is old, can no longer see, you can still hear the passion and drive in his voice. His main passion is education, as well, and through his life, he had conducted various experiments with Gandhian education models... I told him I've read Gandhi, but am not too familiar with what he thought about education. So, he told me to read more. =) We ended up having many conversations... althought I don't remember too much of the substance of them.... I do remember the warmness I felt... and his passion. He gave me all sorts of contacts all over India of people and work that I MUST see if I'm seriously interested in education.

Then... there was Holi! So, at first... the two kids in the house, Rajesh's nephew and niece, were at even before breakfast! The colors were flying... I was spared as I was the "guest", and just got a "Holi chandlo". Soon after breakfast, Rajesh went to go see a couple of his friends... asked if I wanted to come, and I declined. I stepped outside... and enjoyed the chaos! Kids running thoughout the village... with color, water, the works!!! Then, slowly... everyone started getting into.... even the Dadi was making her rounds in the village and when she came back before lunch... she has a nice spattering of red, blue, green, and yellow all over her and sari.... =) I was enjoying watching... but, I kept thinking, "man, imagine if I actually lived in this village... and had my buddies here....." Just then, the "bhabhi" that lived across the street says, "The 'bhai' in your house is still clean...." And all of a sudden, I have about 5 kids, 6 aunties, and a dadi coming at me.... ready to smother me in colors and water!!!! Haha.. let the fun begin! We all ended up playing for another hour or so... and then immediately... people would just take baths and wash their clothes (outside... we're in the gaam).

Overall... a great time for my first Holi in India!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home