To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Friday, March 03, 2006

Here at SIDH

To learn more about SIDH… visit their website at www.sidhsri.com. The website isn’t completely updated, but it’s good.

So, why is this the perfect situation for me?

1) I want to clarify my thoughts on education, on what education should be, and that basically has been SIDH’s goal for the last 15 years.

2) I don’t just want the theoretical, but I want to see the real thing. SIDH runs schools – the real thing.

3) I want to be involved in the process of making new, big ideas into reality. Pawanji has already told me that if I’m serious… we can start formulating our ideas of what education should be (methods and content), and aim at opening a completely independent school in 5 years. (currently all the SIDH schools still take the board exams, so they still have to teach toward those… because they have to consider the villagers desires, as well).

4) I’m on a similar wavelength, thought-wise, with Pawanji and Didi. They say that over the years, their 3 biggest influences on their thinking have been Swadhyay, Vipassana, and Jeevan Vidya.

5) I’m in a GORGEOUS setting, up in the mountains with nature, with not many of the distractions of city-life. I can wake up early and do pranayam, yoga/exercise, meditate, wash my clothes, sweep my room… all those little things. I can find time to read. I still have my Ipod that I listen to, and they do have a TV if I so desire to watch… like a little of the India-England match.

6) The teachers at the school are btwn. the ages of 25-30, so I am surrounded with people my age.

7) Just a couple days ago, an American, Jay Davidson, came in. He’s from San Francisco and is a retired teacher. So, now, whenever I have the urge to speak American English… I got a partner. It’s also interesting to hear all his insights on teaching, education, etc. as he taught for 30-35 years.

8) There are a lot of different things that I’m already getting involved in – I took classes today in 6th, 7th, and 8th, and will be taking them for the next 2 days… substitute teacher. It’s an English class… but still a Hindi-medium school. My Hindi’s definitely getting better though… but, again… this being my first times in front of a classroom, it’s tough. I’m also a translator here… now that Jay’s here. I am also a Hindi teacher for Jay, and an English teacher for all the SIDH staff. I am also the videographer for the upcoming “Herbal and Natural Medicine Workshop for Local Women”. Etc.. so, there are definitely things that I can do day-to-day around here… while I observe, learn, experience, discuss, formulate, etc.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/03/2006 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home