To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Vipassana

KOLHAPUR, MAHARASHTRA - We ended up doing the 10-day Vipassana course (www.dhamma.org) in Kolhapur, because it fit our dates, and was near Mumbai, where we spent our Diwali.

Sameer and I had pretty different experiences during our 10 days. And, it's interesting, because you can't talk to each, nor anyone else... the experience is uninfluenced by any outside source. The experience is truly personal and differen for each individual.

Basically, for 10 days they teach you the technique of Vipassana meditation which was originally taught by Gautama, the Buddha, and you have to maintain complete silence (except you can ask questions to the Guruji). In a nutshell, the technique instructs you to concentrate on "reality as it is" in the "framework of your own body", and says that from this you are on your path of realization of "impermance" and gain "equanimity" of the mind. I'm not going to talk too much about the technique and all, because if you really want to try it, then you should experience it for yourself without too many preconceived notions.

During these 10 days, I learned how to do the technique, although I did not really get a FULL experience of the technique at the "deeper" levels, because my mind was agitated. One realization that I came to... is that I want to purify. For now, that is the goal... that purity brings such a lightness and such a naturalness to life and my actions. Once this level of purity increases, one can just really listen to that inner voice, that intuition, that "fire" and trust it and follow it. This makes things a little clearer, but there are still so many methods to "purify" - selfless action, meditation, devotion, etc. Personally, I was pretty wrapped up in thoughts of my past actions, and my desires during the 10 days.

I'll share a story:
On the 5th day, I told the Guruji that my 4:30-6:30 AM meditation session was going poorly - i couldn't concentrate, I was drowsy, I couldn't keep still, etc. I wanted some advice on how to improve that early session. He said, "Just come at 5 or 5:15 am, instead. In my mind - "Swet, I got permission to sleep more from the Guruji!"
The way they wake us up is a guy goes around ringing a bell. So, on the 6th day, this guy is coming around ringing the bell, and I'm just annoyed. I'm thinking, "Dude, the Guruji said I can sleep longer... doesn't this punk know this!? this is such a terrible way of waking people up, etc..." lots of negative thoughts. I get back to sleep and sleep for another 20-25 minutes.
The NEXT morning, the guy rings his bell, and at about 4:30, he sees my chappals are still outside the room AND the lights are on (my roommate left them on before he left), so he knocks on the door to wke me up. I get out of bed and open the door, really agitated, and since I can't explain to him the situation (we can't talk), I quickly wash my face, and head to the meditation hall, thoroughly agitated, again.
The NEXT morning, again, the guy rings his bell, and I can tell he's a little far away. I'm half-asleep, but I remember what happenned the morning before. All I remember is that these thoughts came rush to my head - "get the chappals, bring them inside, turn off the lights, and go back to sleep before he gets here... so he won't knock on my door again." The next CLEAR memory I have - I opened my eyes, waking up, and I didn't really know where I was... I realized that I was on the floor in the pitch-dark, and my head hurt a little bit. I saw my chappals inside , and then I started to remember that I switched off the light. And, then, I also remember stumbling, falling, as well... but not completely. I don't recall bringing in my sandals at all. I did all these acts while I was still half asleep.... and it took me a minute or so to really piece together what had happenned. It definitely shocked me and scared me. I was just in a daze, confused, and at this point, trying to calm my mind down. Things like this don't really happen to me... I don't faint, throw up, get dizzy, sleepwalk, etc.. very often. What was happenning?
And, then.. I just sat on my bed... and thought and stared into the darkness... stared into myself... this is me, and this is how I've been feeling for a while, now. Analogizing - as long as my mind remains agitated, and I continue to try to hide things and turn off the lights so others won't see, won't know the "real" me -- then I'm going to end up... alone... on the ground... in the dark... with my head hurting... and not being able to fully comprehend how I ended up in that state.

EPILOGUE - The 10-day shibhir was not a "negative" experience by any means for me... it did not make me "depressed". The agitation and that feeling was already within me, and would surface every now-and-then... and at other times, I would try to supress it and hide it. Instead, these 10 days gave me a positive look... just view the reality of the situation... and it gave me a bit of faith that I can work my way out this stage.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an incredible experience. Thoughts on it... Could you do it in the states? What does purification entail-- how does one become pure? Were we all naturally born pure and have we had experiences which make us impure or are those impurities which we experienced through life what make us natural and pure?

11/19/2005 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raj,
That's cool, I did the Vipassana too, and it sounds like you had some real inner experiences, good to hear! It is funny what is really deep inside us, things we ourselves don't even know about! I personally believe a lot in the power of meditation, hopefully you will keep it up! Also, news for you and Sam sam- Imma email it to you...
Reema

11/21/2005 10:39 AM  
Blogger Raj Kanani said...

Who left the first comment?

Well, I don't think we're born pure... and I also think that our experiences leave impressions on us and contribute to our "unpureness", as well.

I don't know what purification entails... but I think it's something that, hopefully, will slowly seep into every part of my life through mediation, selfless work (attempt at selfless work), devotion, relations with loved ones, etc. And I know that there will be different sorts of pain along the way... but to suffer the consequences of past acts/thoughts, that's part of the process.

It's difficult... because I'm out here, and have various opportunities to do different things. And, I'm still not sure what the exact path I should take is...

I'm reading Siddhartha again (first time this year).

11/21/2005 12:54 PM  
Blogger Archana Bahuguna said...

As i am reading more blogs I am getting to know more people who are doing Vipassana. I have taken some courses of Vipassana too. As time progresses, it is becoming my fallback option for everything in life. :-) Still struggling to meditate regularly though. Nice to read about your travel. Hope you enjoy every moment of your journey and gain wisdom all the way. -Wishes.

11/21/2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger Archana Bahuguna said...

And yeah those 4:30 am experiences of not wanting to get up or crib for 1/2 an hour and then finally get up at 5:30am and stuff like has happened to me several times :-). Its only during those Vipassana days we actually realise how agitated our mind is. :-)

11/21/2005 3:18 PM  
Blogger Raj Kanani said...

You can do Vipassana in the States... visit www.dhamma.org, and they a list the "Vipassana" sites.

11/22/2005 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home