To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Monday, October 03, 2005

Islam and "Hinduism" (Indian spirituality)

GURGAON, near DELHI - We stayed with Jay... Neil's brother... in Gurgaon for 3 nights. Most of the time was spent listening to Sampat and Jay go back-n-forth arguing their viewpoints on Islam, Hinduism... the origin of the Taj Mahal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A5220) ... etc. (see sameer's blog for the nature of these "discussions"). The greatest moment was when both of them sat with laptops, and both were looking for information on the internet to disprove the other. I added in my two cents every-now-and-then... but, usually, just stayed quiet. I'm still developing my thoughts on the topic, and don't have ENOUGH information to back up my arguments...

My PERSONAL thoughts right now - the great enlightened saints of India have usually came to the conclusion that all religions have the ability to lead one to God. And, I believe this. I am not a huge fan of "organized religion" and do not believe that it is the "end-all, be-all". To me, it is a spiritual step that may be needed by some people, maybe by most people... but at some point, one must transcend "organized" religion and individualize this "spirituality" and make it much more personal than "organized" religion. This doesn't mean that they reject the religion, but they realize the separateness of the "organization" and "spirituality". In this respect, I believe all the organized religions can be this stepping stone... as they develop selflessness, devotion, connects them with a bigger Purpose, etc. Also, for this purpose, I believe that many of the great spiritual minds, including the Dalai Lama and Gandhiji, are against converting to another religion... unless it is COMPLETELY thought out and reasoned!

This brings me to my view on "Hinduism". The word "Hindu" was not created by Indians, but was created by others for those Indians that lived next to the Sind River. "Hinduism" does not have one main prophet, it doesn't have one scripture that everyone MUST follow. So, for me, to call "Hinduism" a religion, is a misnomer. I like using the term "Indian spirituality" or "Sanskruti"... and to me, what this represents is an EVOLUTION of thought that has taken place in this great land. Spirituality and life are one... they aren't compartmentalized... according to our "Sanskruti" and practices for thousands of years, religion and way-of-life are not separate, but are One. None of the scriptures were written all at once... but were written over a period of time. To me, all these thoughts lead to a tolerance of all relgions and all practices. Everyone is on this path to God, but not everyone can take the same path. Everyone's nature is different, and everyone is on different spiritual levels as well (based on their karma). From the little I know about Islam, I do not believe that everything in their religion is true... but I do see how that religion can lead someone closer to the Goal. I don't see all Indian practices as true, either... but, again, they are just steps. The goal isn't just to get to heaven... but the goal is for perfection... the realization that the ATMA (individual soul) and BRAHMA (universal God) are one and the same. And this may take many lives.. or it may take one life... but we are all on this same path... no matter what creed.

This is my view of Islam... and my understanding of Indian spirituality ("Hinduism"), and I would love to see what others think. The main underlying fact is that this is all just "reasoning" and "rational thinking"... until it is REALLY experienced. Reasoning only goes so far...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes raj, i totally agree. religion is mostly just something you're born into and raised to beleive in b/c that's what your parents beleive in. it's hard to describe what hinduism is exactly, there's so many contradictions and various paths and lives one could lead while calling themselves Hindu. Maybe its the name for some sort of process of introspection. I think most rituals, in various organized religions, have that idea as the root. Take time out of your daily life to connect with God or your Atman on some level. Most religions value patience, love, doing good for humanity, honesty, the golden rule/karma, can't that be enough? I think for most people it is, but religion becomes a habit, and rituals become some sort of comfort, and everyone has the right to that if that's really what helps them. I'm not sure it helps me though. Meditation makes me sense to me, or chanting. I'm more attached to the culture and spirituality of Hinduism, rather than the rituals as a way to please the gods.
It scares me though when these religious ideas can influence politics, whether Hindu ideas in India or Christian ideas in America.
I saw a bumper sticker that I think you'd like:
Love is my religion, and the world is my church.
*can't wait to garba tonight!!! we'll miss u guys :(
-aniketa

10/09/2005 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home