To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Monday, August 15, 2005

Independence Day

I wake up at 4:15 am... my train from Surat to Ahmedabad was supposed to be last night... but, it got delayed. I barely got any sleep... went to be at 11 pm, woke up at 2:30 am with a stomach ached. Finally got back to sleep at 3:30 am, only to have to wake up at 4:15. So, at 5:30 am, I hopped aboard the train (stomach feeling better), and at 10:30, I reached Ahmedabad. Sampat was there waiting for me with open arms. =P I was ready.... the portion of our trip where our exploration really begins, and the trip becomes a little different than "any other trip to India".

We get in contact with Anand (Indicorps)... it's their first day of orientation... and we join up with them. Their plan for the day -- have fun with less fortunate kids. They took 20 kids from the Gandhi Ashram, 20 kids from a blind school, and 20 kids from a school for the mentally disabled on a bus... and took them to the zoo, Bal Vatika (amusement park), and then to the lake and for a laser show (Sampat and I were there for the first two).

It was just an unbelievable day. First, it was awesome talking to Anand and hearing his ideas for us... and it was really awesome meeting all the fellows (including Asha!!) and the Indicorps staff members. Even if we've never met these people, it's so easy to relate to them, because we all have very similar mindsets.... And the Indicorps staff members seem like great resources and seem very open. That was one reason why the day was great. (picture of a couple of Indicorps fellows and the kids)

The other reason was just being with all the kids! The kid at my side most of the day was a mentally-challenged kid named Yatin. I have never really worked with mentall-disabled kids before... so, it was definitely an eye-opener for me. One of the things that stood out the most to me was how many stares we attracted when we walked around (and, no... they weren't staring because I'm a foreigner... actuallly, most people we've met have said that they think we're from here... until they hear us talking in English). I definitely felt all the stares directed at Yatin... I'm not sure if he was cognizant of it or not. I would just tell him to smile and wave at the people looking at him. And, I think that was good, because a lot of times, people smiled and waved back... and a lot of times, parents had their young children (who seemed afraid) come up to Yatin and shake his hand. I'm not sure if this was the right way to deal with the "stares"... but, it felt right.

I really think that this may be the ideal situation for me... working alongside Indo-Americans.. because that's my comfort zone and where I am most efficient, while at the same time working with kids/youth in India... it was a challenge, but it felt natural for me.

There's more exploration to be done. =)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now it seems like you guys actually started your journey.By yourself and not knowing anyone where you are going , finding out everything by yourself , where to live , what to eat , what to see , where to go next and how , etc.---etc.Now it will get intresting and challenging and exiting.I know You guys will be fine . Take a chellenge and good luck finding your way out in northern India.Take care of each other.Have fun.

8/19/2005 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home