To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Getting started

The hustle bustle of Mumbai... the extreme calm of attempting mediation in an empty room in a Sankaracharya Mandhir with Sameer and his Arun Kaka (who absolutely loves telling us stories about EVERYTHING... many of them are inspiring... others are intended to give us some advice while we're out here.... some are entertaining... and a lot are just completely out of the blue. =P..)... my two new nephews playing with me when they should be studying for their exams that are on Monday (below)... getting over the jet lag... trying to figure out where Jigar is and how to contact him... searching for a good deal for a "SIM" card for Sampat's phone... and taking a picture of a good-hearted Poojari... This sums up my first couple days in Mumbai. I'm currently staying at my cousin's place with her family, while Sameer is just across the street at his Kaka's house. We're, maybe, a little farther away from each other than we are in Fremont... but not much farther. =)

The first couple days for me have been pretty slow... and the slight doubt is still there... why am I here? I have to let go of that "American" mentality of being productive every moment.. and really just have to open up my heart and senses to everything around me. I am here for one year, plus or minus. This isn't just a visit... it's weird to get rid of that mentality... especially so far, since I'm staying at relative's place and stuff, and it feels like just any other trip to India. But, I know that these things take time. Right now, I'm just focused on getting my rest to get over the jet lag, and trying to get some of the little stuff out of the way that we need to get done.

I have a request... from now on... let's have no more "stay in good health" comments. I feel that the whole "getting sick" thing has really gotten in my head. And the minute I started eating food here and drinking water, etc... I had this feeling that, "oh no, I hope I don't get sick." It's a complete psychological thing... yes, we will be careful... but not to the point where we are "afraid". We will be adventurous... but careful... but, hopefully, never fearful...

For my day-to-day continuity... I've been doing surya namaskar, excersing and meditating every morning... and writing in my journal every night (I know it's only been two days, but come on... that's a start!). The feeling of doing surya namaskar and meditation in India verus the US... I don't know why.. but the "feeling" is just so much more powerful.

I've picked up "Autobiography of a Yogi" and this is going to be my first read while I'm out here. Pretty crazy book... it seems like we can just go to the Himalayas and find wandering Swamijis everywhere that can perform all kinds of miracles. If we head up there, we'll try to find these dudes. =P

And now.. plea to Jigar... if you are reading this, check your email and contact us!!! your cell phone # does not work, and hopefully, we'll still see you in Mumbai.....

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Raj,

I am glad that you guys are enjoying your trip. While listening to your blog, I feel like I should explore India with you guys!!! Take care of each other and be careful.

Rekha aunty

8/06/2005 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that both of you reached India safely. You're just beginning your journey so I wish you the best of luck!

Take care,
Drasti

8/07/2005 1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi raj
good to here from u . seems like we are with u. so keep posted your experience. Its just 2days. get over with jet leg. and do adventure and explore more . good luck.

mom

8/07/2005 4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Raj,
Dude, your entries are GREAT! I'm sooooo excited for you guys! and I totally understand what you mean about surya namaskar and meditation feeling more powerful in India - it just feels more real or something. But I guess that's the trick we need to learn, to make it count just as much wherever we are.
Tell all the folks at MS that I said hello and sent my love.
Good luck to you guys.
We're loving NY so far!
Love,
Ami

8/08/2005 7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like the trip has gotten off to a pretty good start. I definitely know the feeling on the whole suryanamaskar in India thing. The best is going up on the agasi early in the morning to do it. It feels so awesome! As with the food, you're right, its not worth being afraid of. Enjoy it while you're there! Give yourself a few days to get adjusted, but after that get in all the pani puri & dhosas u can :) Its nice reading about ur trip, I look forward to hearing more! Enjoy!

Archana (KS)

8/08/2005 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone is commenting on the surya namaskar in india-- ditto to that. anyhow, this blog thing is exciting :-)
also, don't be too careful...
how are the rains?

karishma

8/08/2005 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Raj,
Hi!!! This is Ranjitmama. Hope, you still remember me.
We are enjoying your observations and comments about Mumbai/India. It semms, you guys are lucky, as we could not explore India, when we were your age. Enjoy the experience. It will, definitely, take you to different spiritual heights at the end of your trip.

Ranjitmama from Muscat.

8/10/2005 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home