To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Thought Process

Sameer and I are leaving for India today (Wednesday, August 3rd), and the plan is to be out there for 1 year (+/- 6 months). This isn't a completely spontaneous decision. We've been thinking about it for a long time... years. My plan out of college was to work for a year or two, save up some money, and then head to India... and search for my passion. I wish to be tied to the development of India in the short-term, and the long-term; while benefitting from the spiritual brilliance of the culture... and this is the beginning of that quest.

Growing up in the Swadhyay environment, and with my family and friends, the seeds were already sown. I had a spiritual base, and was developing a true love for the Indian culture. Through religious/spiritual/philosophical discussions, through Swadhyay and the powerful camps and people there, through raas and bhangra, through my visits to India, this base and love was nurtured. During college at UCLA, courses on the history of India, Gandhiji, etc.; interactions with all sorts of people and with various aspects of the culture; being heavily involved in the Indian Student Union; and just taking initiative to learn more about what the Indian subcontinent (culture, religion, politics, etc.) was like in the past and what it is today further ignited the desire to interweave my life with the coexistence of this remarkable Indian civilization and modernity.

Now, all of this sounds great... and very ideal...... Do I know what I want to do? No. Do I have a background in service work? Not really. What do I have to offer? I'm not sure. Do I have anything to offer? Maybe not. Will I come back in 6 months because I reconsidered and decided that it would be better for me to strive for my goals here in the U.S.? Possibly. Will I be tough enough? Hopefully. Where does spirituality play a role in all this? Somewhere. Now... things are starting to sound a little less "perfect", and a little more of a "stretch". However, the big question is: Would I be able to answer any of these questions unless I go out there and lay it all on the line? No. And that's the only question that matters right now.

So, I'm off.

And I know... I'm not alone. For one, Sameer's with me. =) And two, as Manks and I like to put it... Sameer and I are not leaving to go to India... we're expanding. The idea of the blog is great because people can stay updated on what we're doing and, in a way, share our experiences, as well. Nipun (nipun.charityfocus.org) and Guri's (journeytoindia.blogspot.com) blogs have definitely been an inspiration to me... as they have perfected the art of blog-writing.

Write us emails... leave comments on the blogs... till next time...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rajlo, you're off! I'm so excited for the two of you...especially since you've stuck to this idea for years and actually made it happen. I can only imagine what incredible stories you guys will have to share along the way. I know the "purpose" will gain clarity with time, as you become immersed in the land...with people from all walks of life, and enveloped in the spirit of the India.
My advice: be adventurous but smart...if people there can do it, so can you. Work on a farm, sing and dance in the streets, share moments with the naanaa chokrao you come across...it will make their day to not be brushed aside, and will brighten your day as well.
Keep up with the blog and we'll definitely keep you up to speed with things here. See you in December!
live, love, laugh...
shivani

8/03/2005 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/04/2005 12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/04/2005 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raj, I can't believe you're doing this but I'm glad you are. I know you wanted to do this for a while and I am very impressed. Say HI to Samu for me. Tell him I think his pose is very "alluring" indeed.LOL.
Enjoy every moment....
Super V

8/04/2005 1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dear!! u have to guess? who is your well wisher? yes u know now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats right?
good luck for your trip and wishing u a happey journey. Do not forget God is with u.

8/04/2005 11:40 AM  
Blogger Jaggery said...

Good Luck out there. Do me a huge favor and visit the Kailasa Temple near the Ajanta Caves. Enjoy!!
Light, Love and Laughter,
take care of you,
Vibhs

8/06/2005 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home