To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Possible shadiness?

I was sitting on a bench at the Gandhi Ashram, waiting for Sameer to get out of the museum (he took like 2 hours in there, I got worried, didn't know where he was for a while, looked for a phone to call him, etc I looked in the museum and all over the ashram for him... but he was just in the museum the whole time! I must have missed seeing him!)

Anyways... while I was sitting on the bench... waiting... with my Nalgene in one hand, and bag in the other (with food, notebook, antibacterial handwash, etc.), this guy walks by me (around late 30's.) He looks in my direction... keeps walking... then turns around, and sits down next to me, and starts chatting. The Gandhi ashram... even in the hustle-bustle of Ahmedabad remains a pretty serene, peaceful place. We start talking... he asks where I'm from... and I tell him Mumbai. He tells me about what he does for a living... textile industry. I ask him if he just came from a mandhir because he had a tilak on his forehead.. he said, no, he does pooja at home. After a slight comfort level, I tell him that I'm originally from the US, and just came from Mumbai. We keep chatting a little bit. My black bag was between me and him. I was kind of looking away as we talked, and I noticed that he placed his hand on my bag. He was kind of feeling around in it. I naturally put my hand on my bag, as well, and in a few seconds, got up, and told him that I had to go find my friend.

I walked away about 15 yards, but then decided... what do I have to fear? Let me go back there and ask him what he's doing here at the ashram, and why he put his hand on my bag. It was the middle of the day, there were other people around, and I didn't really have anything valuable he could steal... so, I turned around to go back and talk to him, again. I got to my bench, and looked around, and couldn't find him anywhere.

Fearlessness... Abhayam... it's a quality that I've always really admired. And, it's something I want to strive for. Sampat and I jsut talked about it for a little while...

What does "fearlessness" mean to you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home