To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Quick Update

Here is a quick update of what I've been doing and what I'm about to be doing:

For the last month, I've been in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, working with a group called Indicorps (www.indicorps.org). They basically provide one-year fellowships to Indian-Americans to do service projects with various NGO's all over India. From August 15th-September 15th, Indicorps has a 1-month orientation for the new batch of fellows. Therefore, I have been here adding value wherever I am able with the preparation, organization, and running of the orientation.

After this, I will head to Mumbai to spend a few days with my extended family. Then, I will head to Delhi to meet with 4-5 friends. We are planning to launch a Youth Summer Program in India (tentavily called In-SPIRE -- Indian Summer Program for Integrated & Relevant Education) for American college students where they will learn about Indian culture, being immersd in Indian culture, explore different issues that face India and the world today, etc. Actually, for now, the motto is: "Looking deeper at India. Looking deeper at your Self. And the interconnectedness and interdependence of the world." The main purpose it to get Indo-American college students to think outside of the box about their future aspirations and choices. I will send you more info if you're interested.

Then, around 25th September, I will be headed back up to SIDH. That will be my base until I return to the Bay Area at the beginning of December. The goal is to have the Summer Program planned by December. THerefore, when i return, I can focus on recruiting and marketing. I will also be involved with other side things, while I am at SIDH (including, hopefully herbal gardening!).

4 Comments:

Blogger Chandni said...

hi1 i keep dipping into ur blog from time to time..going to sidh again...lovely, get ur kurta made this time..heh heh
tk cr :)

9/16/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Chandni said...

i may not be in delhi during those days :(
am in touch with pearl..wil send her ur wishes
take care

9/17/2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Raj!! ur ideas for the program sound awesome, my sis is definately interested!

10/03/2006 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me ^ Aniketa :)

10/03/2006 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home