To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Meditation/ Fearlessness/ Karma Yoga

My medititation hasn't been as regular as Sampat's. And I've changed my method multiple times as well. At some point, we definitely want to go through Vipassana 10-day shibhir... soo, maybe we can get to the point where we really know what we're doing.

For now... I start with OM OM OM SHANTI SHANTI SHANTI. I then concentrate on my breath 3 deep breaths both nostrils, 3 deep breaths in one nostril out the other, and 3 vice versa. Now, at this point.. I've decided to concentrate upon a thought, a principle. And this principle is FEARLESSNESS. I'll think abot what this means, people I met that exemplify this quality, how nature exemplifies this quality, introspect... and think about how I can develop this quality. After this, I end with "Tvameva Mata.." and (starting today) do 4 rounds of mala (saying Jai Shree Krishna and picturing the Yogeshwar Murti).

Maybe.. all this is too much... and I should simplify it?

The purpose of the meditation... or concentration... for me, right now... is introspection and developing this quality of FEARLESSNESS (abhayam) through concentrated thought.

Comments – how do you define FEARLESSNESS?

I've heard and read many times... that if one just picks one PRINCIPLE and tries to develop this quality/principle... then, all the other qualities fall into place. For me, the concept of FEARLESSNESS has always been attractive. To get to the point where I can say and do whatever I want to without hesitation, without doubts, without fears. Not being afraid to say something, or do something. To get to this point, I have to be completely comfortable with who I am and have confidence in myself. I must realize what causes fear? A lot of times.. it is ignorance. If I'm ignorant about something, I won't have self-confidence. After this faith in myself, there is still room to grow... as there will always be someone better than me, always be some result/consequence that I fear.... Therefore, the next step would be faith in God, and the REAL realization that God is within me.
For now.. I'm still at the beginning stages... trying to introspect, and think about all the times that I have been afraid.. and why I've been afraid.

I'm also using "meditation" as a way to "connect the dots" of India. We're visiting and experiencing so many incredible, inspiring places... so, whenever we reach a place of spiritual significance in India... I've tried to spend at least a few minutes in meditation. The Gandhi Ashram, Lotus (Bahai) Temple, Jama Masjid - Delhi, Banks of Ganga in Haridwar... and so on...

My "Path" isn't going to be "solely" through meditation and reaching "samadhi". However, concentration and meditation will be a tool along my "Path". My natural inclination is to work with people, and completely lose myself in this work. My short stints of "kaam" at Swadhyay camps… or longer stint of work with I.S.U… I was completely in my element when I was constantly working… and not working for myself… but, at camp, working for other campers… and at UCLA/ISU, working for the Indo-community at UCLA. To some degree, I wasn't being selfish. Therefore, both Sampat and I are reading Karma Yoga (Vivekananda) right now… and trying understand it… and soon, hopefully, will find some "work"/"project" that we can get "lost" in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home