To the Motherland...

I'm taking a journey with my good friend, Sameer Sampat, to India. What exactly this journey is going to entail... your guess is as good as mine. Our inner voices will be our guide. (along with our handy-dandy Lonely Planet)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fremont, California, United States

Monday, January 29, 2007

Community Gardens/Farms

So... a new thing that I've been interested to is the community garden/farm. All of a sudden... I feel like I'm learning about them from all over the place! Here are some links to check out...

http://www.csalearningcenter.org/ --> we watched a documentary about this place as a part of the Nai Talim film festival

http://www.cityslickerfarms.org/ --> Sameer found out about this place, and both of us went to volunteer there last week! I'm going to try to go at least once weekly.

Both of these places are getting urban kids some hands-on experience of farming and gardening.... and are also involved in getting low-priced organic food to low-income households. They also are completely open to volunteers.... just great 'learning places'.

Then, while I was on BBC... I saw that Bush's best friend (ha ha...), Hugo Chavez has started some things on similar lines.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/americas_harvest_in_caracas/html/1.stm

1 Comments:

Blogger Payal said...

Hi Raj,
There were a bunch of these in my neighborhood in Boston...gardens run by neighborhood kids with the purpose of keeping them out of trouble and community building. I think I also read about them once in a public health course as an example how to build social capital..
Have fun with it!

1/29/2007 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home